Yamaha U1 regulation problem

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:42:32 +0100

Clyde it is sometime not a dip problem, even if it looks like (hammer don't
drop).

been caught there yet too

Best

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Clyde Hollinger
  Envoyé : vendredi 7 mars 2003 13:28
  À : Pianotech
  Objet : Re: Yamaha U1 regulation problem

  Tom,
  OK, I certainly hope someone gives you a good answer, because I NEED IT,
TOO!

  I get so frustrated when I find this in pianos that I have been
recommending.  For those with modest piano replacement budgets I've been
recommending the P22.  My daughter just bought one.

  Last week I serviced a 1978 Yamaha P202 with a number of torn flange
cords, which is part of the problem, and another part of the problem is
insufficient dip in the center.  So I need to replace the flange cords and
do a good job of key leveling.  On a few keys where I already put in a new
flange, I was able to stop the bobble by removing front rail punchings to
increase the key dip.  I thought that was probably the answer, but I hate
doing things sort of slipshod like this.  I would rather have
more-than-average keydip on the whole piano than here and there.  But the
question in my mind is, if I *did* increase key dip, either at the front or
balance rails, would that solve the problem?

  I once thought I could just shim up the whole balance rail a little.  In
that Yamaha P22 the thing was *glued down*!!

  Is it the springs, as Ken Jankura thinks?  Should I stop recommending
Yamaha verticals?  :-(

  HELP!

  Regards,
  Clyde

  Tom Driscoll wrote:

    List
                I recently serviced a U1 vertical for a first time client.
Excellent piano very little wear and -tuned up quite well.

                I did however find lettoff to be over !/4 “and inconsistent.

                I adjusted to 1/8” –and took up lost motion. Tightened
action screws. The key dip and after touch were sufficient, and the jacks
are free to travel away from the butts---no interference from that
adjustable rail—(sorry, I forget Y’s nomenclature on that component)

                My client has a light touch and the action still stutters

    I returned, shortened blow distance readjusted lost motion, and adjusted
spoons to re-correct damper timing.

                My client called again with the same problem and called
other technicians for advice also

                I know bobbling hammers can be a problem on Yamaha verticals
and I’ve worked on hundreds of these, but I can’t shorten blow any more and
as I mentioned, keydip-aftertouch are correct. I’m hesitant to increase
lettoff back to its original excessive amount, so esteemed colleagues ---Any
suggestions? I’m going back next week.

                P.S.  Backchecks are also adjusted---I.E. catchers are not
bouncing out or off of the backchecks

                Tom Driscoll RPT