Yamaha U1 regulation problem

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:54:21 -0700

Ron, that's one of the best things I've read from you, and they're all =
good.
Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Nossaman=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 7:28 AM
  Subject: Re: Yamaha U1 regulation problem

  >             I know bobbling hammers can be a problem on Yamaha =
verticals=20
  > and I ve worked on hundreds of these, but I can t shorten blow any =
more=20
  > and as I mentioned, keydip-aftertouch are correct. I m hesitant to=20
  > increase lettoff back to its original excessive amount, so esteemed=20
  > colleagues ---Any suggestions? I m going back next week.

  This has always been a problem with these actions with beginners, =
kids, and=20
  folks with a tentative touch. To me, it seems to be a design thing. =
The=20
  ratio of jack length to tail length is high, so any drag of the jack =
at the=20
  but translates to increased resistance at the tail. As the key is=20
  depressed, the pianist picks up resistance from the damper spring =
first,=20
  then hits added resistance at letoff. They just don't push through the =

  letoff and finish the stroke, which makes the hammers bobble. Bottom =
line=20
  is that the person playing the piano needs to learn how to work it and =
the=20
  "problem" goes away. Since that isn't likely to happen immediately, I =
find=20
  the quickest and most easily reversible cheap trick is to bend the =
letoff=20
  rail brackets down a tad to make that letoff about 1/4" - maybe more. =
There=20
  will be a point where even the most relentless and determined soft paw =

  won't be able to make the hammers bobble. That's where to leave it. =
Feels=20
  funny? No power, no control? No sweat. If they were capable of power =
and=20
  control, the problem wouldn't have come up in the first place. Next =
year,=20
  when they've learned to work the piano and complain about the lack of =
power=20
  and control (or not), these same brackets can be bent back up to get =
the=20
  letoff close enough to even it out quickly without having had to crank =
all=20
  the buttons down, then up again. Sure, I hate to compromise the action =
to=20
  accommodate someone's inability to work it, but they aren't going to =
change=20
  until (and if) they change, so all that's left is minimizing the =
damage=20
  until, and if, they do.

  That's my take.

  Ron N