Yamaha U1 regulation problem

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:27:14 +0100

Hi Ron,

I had the same problem in a jazz club, not really beginners, the
repetition was poor, no way to regulate with a normal letoff, as the
hammers did not "drop", the jack was not moving enough far of the butt
when the hammer goes in check.

Having a shorter stroke did not help at all because the catching was
even near the strings then.
Larger letoff only disturbed the repetition too much (Boogie Boogie
playing expected).

A mix of minimal but real aftertouch, maximal checking, somewhat large
letoff (3mm) and a precise regulation of the lost motion was the
solution).

If not enough lost motion, under the stroke the hammer is propelled
too early and it comes in check when the jack did not finish it's
course, I noticed that on the U series from Yamaha's, it is also due
to the compression of the jack's rest cushion, that give us a false
appreciation of the good lost motion point
Then, we tend to close too much the jack's butt contact, and the jack
don't reengages/hammer don't drop.

If you check while looking at the top of the jack , by knocking
lightly the back of the key with the handle of the tool (to reset the
system in its natural neutral position) while testing with a light
finger on the playing part of the key at the same time, then one can
really regulate the lost motion, taking in account the natural
compression of the felts ( I leave may be 1/10 mm, but not 'hole' felt
at the key, just avoid the immediate propulsion sensation that mean
the system  is compressed since the start).

You can see then that the jack comes in a perfect "no lost motion"
position while you believe at first you are having too much. Anyway
that little moment at the beginning of the stroke is hardly felt by
the player as the real lost motion that we should avoid, only some
springiness, then the propulsion.

And the hammer take frankly its full velocity and stroke, it is not
delayed like when lost motion exist.
While the immediate start of the action mean a lot of power for the
attack of the tone, I am not sure it produce the most manageable tone.
All piano action need some "air".

The rest cushion from Yamaha is very bouncy ,more than usual too.

As having a larger checking add strength to the tone to some point,
this approach is useful and it compensate well for the little loss of
strength due to larger lost motion. The tone is more open then .

Beside, I like these actions a lot, they react almost as grand action,
telling us when they are properly regulated by a specific tone
quality.

There is a point I did not investigate there and it is the geometry of
the short lever of the jack on the button. May be some motion is lost
because of their relation, (angle or position of the button) and the
forward move of the jack can be too slow in some configurations.

BTW, on verticals, having less stroke does not help repetition, as the
hammer is more vertical then and less prone to come back to rest I
guess.

That's all folks ....

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG