Putting bass strings back on

Steve Borgstrom orchman@attbi.com
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:05:28 -0600

What a great list! Lot of help in a very short time here; thanks all!

I twisted the strings in the direction of the core wire, the way it was
wrapped to form the hitch pin loop. As I look now, armed with new
knowledge, that is counter to the direction of the copper wrapping. So
all of you folks' replies have made sense, especially Brian's which is
quoted below!

But the larger question remains, is there any consensus as to what is
physically happening in the string when it sounds so awful? Or is it
one of those things that we all know happens, but we don't know how or
why? Thanks again list-friends!

Steve

PS Brian, did you ever attend elementary school in Little Falls, MN, in
the middle to late 60's? There was a Brian Trout who moved in for a
time, would be wild if you were he! <grin> Please reply off list,
thanks!