Dowelling bridges to board.

Sat, 8 Mar 2003 07:01:23 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 08, 2003 6:01 AM
Subject: Dowelling bridges to board.

> It seems to me that if keeping the bridge from
> "pulling over" was desired, a dowel through the
> bridge, board, and into a big, fat, wooden button,
> perhaps 3/4" tall and at least in dameter as the
> bridge is wide, would work best. But would this
> perceptibly augment notes in the vicinity of the
> assembly?
>      Just some thoughts.

The problem with this theory lies in expecting a spruce panel approximately
8 or 9 mm thick in cross-grain to stabilize a hard maple bridge
approximately 32 mm wide and anywhere from 30 to 36 mm high. Much higher in
the bass.

What are these dowels and buttons going to accomplish that the glue joint
between the bridge and soundboard surface is unable to accomplish?

Del