Epoxy Man Strikes Again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 10:25:17 -0600

>Hello,
>
>I can't see why the glue joint or glue zone between bridge and
>soundboard can't act as a sound modifier, or filter. A too thick  glue
>joint certainly should.

But we aren't talking about a thick glue joint. I'm not sure it's possible
to accidentally make one thick enough to be a problem. Transmission of
sound between bridge and board isn't how soundboards work.

>And the choice of the glue may change the resonnance frequencies of
>the assembly too.

Perhaps, but unless the choice and application of the glue is wildly
inappropriate, it's not the choice of glue that makes a soundboard work or
not work either.

>Beside I understand that the bridge and the board  have to be warm
>(and dry) to be glued. Do you use the hot box before gluing ?

If you can get the MC of the panel and ribs where you want them at room
temperature, there's no need to heat the panel and ribs - unless your
choice of glue, like hot hide glue, demands it.

>Epoxyes seems to be cook sometime, to attain their final hardness
>temperatures as high as boiling water . I suspect we don't want to
>cook our  soundboards as that !
>
>Best Regards
>

>Isaac OLEG

If you have to cook the epoxy to cure it, you have chosen an inappropriate
glue.

Ron N