Putting the bass strings back on

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:37:01 -0800

All,
There is a little know item, that I just recently found out about, in regard
to bass strings. Specifically, Double Wrapped bass strings: The inner wrap
is "spun" in one direction and the outer wrap is "spun" in the OPPOSITE
direction!!!! Whoa! Revalation There!!! So,.....armed with that knowledge,
it seems that if you "twist" a Double Wound string, you are, in essence,
loosening one wrap and tightening the other. My conclusion: Don't twist
double wrapped strings!!!!!!!!
I found out about this from Ted Sambell, when he graciously spent some time
with me and Clyde Sayler, (McMinnville Technician/friend/partner-in-bass
string making). Ted is a master in the winding of Bass strings and all sorts
of piano technology. (Hopefully, in a short time, we will be making strings
for the tech population....Long learning curve there!<G> Stay tuned, so to
speak.)
Sure was an eye opener!
What is happening when we "twist" a bass string is....each end of the
winding is "anchored" by the core "swaging"; when we twist the wrap is like
a spring: if you twist a spring one direction it will expand, the other
direction it will contract...in this case around the core wire. Hope this
helps to visualize what really happens when we "TWIST".

Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)