Epoxy Man Strikes Again

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:39:10 +0100

Del,

I talked about the fact that the soundbord may remain hot (dry) during
the glue curing time because before the glue have totally stiffened it
may be advisable to avoid any wood displacement due to the moisture
coming back, that's all.

Talking about cooking epoxy, I have a quality, that may be cooked to
attain full strength, the temperature needed is far much as 120° .
While it can be used as such it is said that the maximum compression
resistance is obtained after a 24 to 48 h cooking in a hot box.

Even when working with modern glue as UreaFormalehyde, I understand
the panel is heated usually, or may be it may not be heated, only dry
(in a controlled gluing room) , as I suspect that warm wood will
absorb air moisture really faster.

Warming do helps the glue surface tension a little maybe is not it ?

Difficult to me to talk about these in regard of my large experience
:)

Talking about the bridge glue joint, I like to believe that we are not
only in mechanical phenomena there. Things are probably less simple as
they seem (if they look simple )

A glue joint with a "real" glue that is moisten enough the wood may be
more homogenous from a material point of view, than the mechanical
bond of epoxy (poor drip).

But I have yet some time to change my mind !

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech