Wire Stretching

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:56:48 +0100

Hello,

I'd be concerned by adding string marks on the bridge. A very light
tap at the front is enough to settle the string (or on the bridge pins
as some do also).
Basically the strings are stretching naturally to the point they don't
no more and they break (plasticity limit ).

While I remember reading about "massaging" lightly the strings for
some unknown reason, probably to renew and clean the termination
points, I believe it is unnecessary to do it particularly if the piano
is stable and at pitch. It is the same as making the strings "older"
if one push on them too hard.

An initial string settling takes place during the first month, then
during the first years of the new strings, I'd leave them alone after
that, unless they are dirty, or corroded.

But yes I've done it sometime, the amelioration when massaging near
the capo is clear, but it does not really hold BMO.

I was also fighting a lot to have old strings leveled (and did not
understood why it does not hold), till I was told that once settled,
the bend in the strings don't hold enough, so it is useless.

Best regards, and a good question for sure.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy