Wire Stretching

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:18:09 -0700

Phil, a piano that has been in service for more than a year or more, and =
has been kept up to pitch in that time, doesn't need "stretching", in my =
opinion.  What you can do is to straighten the wire near the bridge =
pins, both front and back. I do it by (gently) tapping with an upright =
hammer shank at about a 45% angle to the bridge, in the direction of the =
bridge pin. This will straighten out the wire, which tends to form a =
bend as it's "rounding the base" in it's run-in to the pin. This =
increases tuning stability and gives a cleaner tone, while seating the =
string on the bridge. After you do this the first time, I don't bother =
doing it again, and instead tap either the bridge pin back into the =
bridge, or tap the string down on the body of the bridge, behind the =
front pin.=20
    It also helps stability if you tap on either side of the aliquot, if =
there is one. Then you'll probably have to do a little pitch raising and =
final tuning, usually works out great.
Kevin.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phil Bondi=20
  To: Newtonville=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 3:12 PM
  Subject: Wire Stretching

  ok..lemme try again..

  I service a very beautiful S&S D at a local concert hall.

  While it is very stable and has mostly a great tone to it(I'll work on =
it
  more this summer), I was wondering about "ocasionally" stretching the
  wire"..similar to what you would do with brand new wire.

  The Purpose?

  My gut feeling tells me that it might be good for the wire and the =
overall
  tone to do this "ocasionally" - perhaps once a year?

  If I'm out in left field, tell me.

  -Phil Bondi (Fl.)
  phil@philbondi.com