Need Stable Advice

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:55:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi List,

Hope this isn't too long, I'll try to include lots of
info.

Just before Christmas I got a call from a big church
needing an "emergency" tuning the next day (Sunday)
for a big program with full orchestra.  Since I'm
"less experienced", I had time to do it.  The piano,
1980 Yamaha C7 gray market, had been tuned 2 weeks
before.  It seems that they've had it about 3 years
and it won't stay in tune very long.

I carefully looked for structural problems and gave it
my best, stablest tuning (no laughing, please) and got
done as the orchestra was showing up.  I figured I'd
never hear from them again.

They called this week to schedule the next tuning.
Seems that I did something right, and they're hoping
I'll be able to make it more stable.

My "less experienced" feeling is that it's a climate
issue.  The church has a roll back ceiling, so even
though we don't have big humid/dry changes, it
probably has access to more changes than most rooms.

Dampp Chaser might be the answer, but in my chapter,
there is only one guy (that I have found) who uses
them, and he only uses just the rods with a
humidistat.  If it had only the rods, would it dry the
piano in such a way that it would experience the same
problems as gray market pianos in dry climates?

Got any other ideas?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave Davis
Renton, WA
Assoc. PTG