Need Stable Advice

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 09 Mar 2003 06:23:58 -0500

Dave,

Three possibilities enter my mind here.

1.  How far out of tune was the piano the second time you tuned it?
Some folks have a very low tolerance for any change at all, and even
with a complete Dampp-Chaser installation they will not be satisfied
with the stability.  I will never forget hearing Jack Stebbins recount
the time he almost had a concert tuning finished when someone switched
on (ah!  which was it now?) either the air conditioning or the stage
lights.  The tuning changed before he left the room.  Yes, it can change
that quickly, and I don't think any Dampp-Chaser installation is going
to help that.

2.  Sometimes no one has actually noticed that the piano tuning
changed.  They call just because for an important event they want to be
sure it is not out of tune to avoid potential embarrassment.

3.  What is the weather like in Washington state?  If the humidity level
is always above 40%, my opinion is that you do not need a complete
Dampp-Chaser system with the humidifying components, but the heat bars
and control unit are likely to result in an improvement, if there's not
an air current near the piano.  In that case use an undercover also.

It is unclear to me from what you wrote if you thought you might be able
to get away with just the heat bars and *no* humidistat.  That would be
a bad idea.  With no humidistat there is no way to control the drying
power.

I am not as pessimistic as Kevin regarding the church keeping the system
plugged in, but he has a good point.  I have found unplugged systems,
but in a minority of my installations.  At least one person in the
church has to care enough about tuning stability to keep an eye on that
plug.  If s/he finds a pattern of the system unplugged, then it's time
for detective work to find out what's going on and find a remedy.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA