Need Stable Advice

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:28:11 -0700

Dave, what can I say? Churches are notorious for this. No, a damp-chaser =
isn't going to help, because the piano doesn't "belong" to any one =
person, therefore, no-one is going to be looking after it, and making =
sure it's plugged in. (Which it won't be, off and on).  The fact of the =
matter; pianos like being where humans live, and in the same conditions. =
Churches often, because of economics, turn the AC off, or way down when =
the church is not being used. Makes sense to me, but it's not good for =
the tunings.=20
    The bottom line here is;  Unstable environment=3DUnstable piano.

But, that's just one person's opinion.

Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Davis=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 4:55 PM
  Subject: Need Stable Advice

  Hi List,

  Hope this isn't too long, I'll try to include lots of
  info.

  Just before Christmas I got a call from a big church
  needing an "emergency" tuning the next day (Sunday)
  for a big program with full orchestra.  Since I'm
  "less experienced", I had time to do it.  The piano,
  1980 Yamaha C7 gray market, had been tuned 2 weeks
  before.  It seems that they've had it about 3 years
  and it won't stay in tune very long.

  I carefully looked for structural problems and gave it
  my best, stablest tuning (no laughing, please) and got
  done as the orchestra was showing up.  I figured I'd
  never hear from them again.

  They called this week to schedule the next tuning.=20
  Seems that I did something right, and they're hoping
  I'll be able to make it more stable.

  My "less experienced" feeling is that it's a climate
  issue.  The church has a roll back ceiling, so even
  though we don't have big humid/dry changes, it
  probably has access to more changes than most rooms.

  Dampp Chaser might be the answer, but in my chapter,
  there is only one guy (that I have found) who uses
  them, and he only uses just the rods with a
  humidistat.  If it had only the rods, would it dry the
  piano in such a way that it would experience the same
  problems as gray market pianos in dry climates?

  Got any other ideas?  Am I missing something?

  Thanks,

  Dave Davis=20
  Renton, WA
  Assoc. PTG