A.B.Chase request/responses

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 04:49:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Posey" <poseyviolins@charter.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: A.B.Chase request/responses

> I went and looked at mine.  The center horizontal beam is parallel and
> almost touching the front of the cabinet heading off to the left side.  It
> is connected to both the center pedal and the left pedal with little
> threaded rods.  There are two wooden blocks that engage pins on each pedal
> to form a hinge.  There is  a coil spring that holds the pedal up.  There
> was some felt in there to prevent metal to metal contact.  The one thing I
> never solved during refinishing was how to get the pedals out without taking
> off the bottom of the piano.
> Gerald

    That's how the pedals are usually taken out -- by tipping the piano on its back and removing the bottom board.   For those times when you can't or don't want to, it helps to have a C-clamp with a hole drilled through the non-screwing end, large enough to clear a pedal pivot pin.  It's a hassle, but the pin can be pushed out of the pedal with this tool, then the pedal can be pulled out the hole in the stretcher.  The same tool can be used to push a new pivot pin into a pedal, if the part that screws has a dimple for the end of the pin to sit in.  Thanks to Jim Harvey for this tip, which I got from him 20 years ago.  --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver