Mobile bass strings

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:04:02 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: HazenBannister@cs.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 4:55 PM
  Subject: Mobile bass strings

  Hi,
    I know this topic comes up from time to time:  how to carry around a =
whole set of universal bass strings.  I would hope someone has a great =
new way that I don't know of.  Also,if you use a piece of PVC pipe which =
I've read about,how would you be able to extract a single string,and =
know which size it is,without removing all the strings.I am =20
  thinking about something like a small mobile file box,and have each =
size separated,
  but would be worried about protecting the strings from humidity and =
such. =20
  Best,
  Hazen Bannister

      This has been one of the biggest bugaboos of servicing pianos in =
the home for me.  Ya gotta be prepared for anything, just about, =
including breaking bass strings.  Yeah, you can splice 'em, IF they =
break leaving a long enough length to tie a knot in.  But sometimes they =
don't or they're very tubby sounding or just plain dead, and many times =
it's impractical to order a custom made string and make a return trip in =
a couple weeks just for a little spinet or old upright. =20
      So ya gotta carry a set of universal strings around.  It's hard =
enough finding a suitable way to carry them and keep them labeled, never =
mind protecting them from humidity, heat, etc.  If they were custom =
strings, I'd worry about it more, but they're universals -- sort of a =
stopgap measure.  I mean, what're you gonna do, have a =
climate-controlled box that plugs into the cigarette lighter?  Then what =
about overnight -- do you have to load 'em in and out of the car every =
morning and evening just so they won't get too cold or too humid?  I =
doubt it matters that much -- they're not soundboards.
      I used to keep them all threaded by the hitchpin loops onto one of =
those little keyhole-shaped hooks that opens and closes.  But the tags =
would get tangled and torn and come off.  The old tags, like many =
things, were better than the new -- they were heavy card stock with =
reinforced holes and stayed on and lasted quite a while.  The new ones =
are just adhesive-backed paper and they tear off or wear through and =
fall off too soon.  So I have to add a piece of scotch tape around them =
as soon as I get them.
      With all of them hooked onto one loop, or ring, you have to loop =
the whole set into one big wreath and put them in a shallow box at least =
12" square, like an old movie reel box or large film canister.   Or, as =
has been mentioned, store them all straight in a long piece of PVC pipe. =
 But then the tag tangling problem, plus having a long object in the car =
that might not fit unless the back seat is folded down.  I gave up on =
keeping them all on one hook.  Now I just leave them like the single =
replacements come -- wound into a loop about 8" diameter.  I hate to =
throw 'em all loose on top of each other, so I put them in order and tie =
a small rope through them.  They still hook on each other a bit and =
don't really stay in exact order, but it's "manageable".
      I keep one of each size in this old movie reel box, and 2 or 3 =
each of the more commonly broken sizes, like 3 through 6 or so.  Seems =
like 80% of my replacements are in the mid- or upper- bass of consoles, =
spinets, and school studios.  The real small ones, like 9 thru 12, are =
bundled separately. =20
      The longer, nicer strings for larger grands hang from the rafters =
in my shop, straight down, in the cloth bag that was supplied with them =
-- they get used so rarely, I figure I don't need to keep 'em in the =
car.
      Long post over what should be a minor detail, but I would like to =
hear others' solutions for dealing with the bass string =
storage/tagging/ordering/replacing hassle.  (If you don't keep 'em on =
hand, the customer has to go without for at least 10 days' =
ordering/shipping time).
      The suitcase with file folders and dessicant sounds good.  Might =
try that. =20
      --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver