Mobile bass strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:53:06 -0500

Dave,

I'm as low-tech on this as one can get.  I keep a complete set.  Each
coiled string is in its own 6" x 9" envelope labeled with the size.  Al
envelopes are kept in order in a cardboard box in the trunk of my car,
with a blanket over all the contents of the trunk, and the car is
garaged when it's at home.  Some of the really fat strings that
shouldn't or can't be coiled that tightly (about six, I think) are under
the others.  When I use a string, I take the empty envelope with me into
the house, which reminds me to order a new one.

I do not like using universal replacement strings very much, as I have
found their tone to sometimes be deficient.  If I'm in a pinch or the
piano isn't too hot anyway or money is scarce for the client, I will use
them, but for better pianos I order a custom string.

Regards,
Clyde