Professional identity

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:22:58 -0500

Friends,

I think I've mentioned this tip a couple times before, but maybe it will help
one of the new people.

Several days before the scheduled tuning, each customer gets a reminder card
from me that includes this:  "A quiet atmosphere will help me do the best job
for you.  It will also be helpful if all items are removed from the piano
before I arrive.  Please call attention to any additional problems so they can
be attended to."  If you don't mail cards, you could politely give this
information on the phone right after the tuning is scheduled.

So the number of times I am bothered by noises, or have to clear the piano top,
are in the small minority.  And I love it!

Once in a while the customer will take me to the piano, oblivious to the fact
that it is still covered with stuff.  I simply say, "OK, we'll need these
things off the piano so I can tune it."  Invariably they begin clearing it off,
and I help do it.  I don't mind helping, but I don't want to do it all myself
if I don't have to.

Regards,
Clyde