uprights, uprights, uprights

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:21:11 -0500

Michael,

I agree that some of those uprights were pretty marvelous in their day.
If you can make a living finding and rehabilitating good-quality
90-year-old uprights that are in like-new condition except for one
repair, go for it.  Would *any* of us suggest such pianos be treated
with distain?  But how many other pianos are there like that?

All the 90-year-old upright pianos I know would need massive amounts of
work to return them to their former glory.  Do they deserve life?
Maybe.  But there is the matter of basic economics.  I would like to
know how many old uprights your shop has remanufactured.  Are you making
a reasonable profit from this type of work?  If there is more demand
than supply for renewed old uprights (nationwide, not just in a small
area), we should know about it.

Otherwise, there's no point in saying someone should be doing this if no
one can afford to.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA