Kawai NS-20

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:25:18 +0930

Don, Terry & Donald,

Australia is a funny climate full of odd people. In Darwin, where the =
humidity is currently 85% and in Queensland in general where humidity is =
also high you will find that 98% of the houses are not air-conditioned =
and everyone leaves the windows open to let the breezes in ( and the =
moisture). Seem this is a different world. It is hard on all pianos in =
all senses but most of them handle these conditions better than does the =
Kawai.

Now I have to admit that I have not checked out the bushing cloth in the =
new Kawais and maybe this has been changed recently but in the Kawais =
that I have worked on, the bushing cloth did not have the white bit in =
the middle. It was red right through. This makes it different in =
construction to other bushing cloths that I have used.

 One tuner in Australia rebushed a complete grand action with Renner =
felt and the problem never reoccurred. So, is it the felt or the ABS =
resin.

Also one of the English actions, I think Schwander, used ABS flanges =
with normal bushing cloth and I have never seen a problem with tight =
centres there so I guess I would have to say its the cloth at fault.

I have not made a proper study of this and it may have changed since but =
its easy to check it out. take out a flange and look at the felt. Does =
it have the white inner weave ?

Tony

  ----- Original Message -----=20