Kawai NS-20

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:56:57 -0500

WOW! We are talking about extreme climatic conditions. I would say that it is amazing any piano can function in that environment.

"......a funny climate full of odd people." I don't know. Sounds like a good group to me!

I do know one thing about bushing felt and white inner weave (I think!). Older methods of making the felt resulted in a white center layer. I forget exactly what has changed with the manufacture of bushing felt, but however it is made today does NOT have need to produce an inner white layer. However, SOME manufacturers of bushing felt DO make a white inner layer - but only in color - the felt is reportedly the same as the non-white-center-felt - they simply put a white stripe in the center to make it look like the old type of felt because many techs only want "the good old stuff".

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Caught" <caute@bigpond.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 7:55 AM
Subject: Re: Kawai NS-20

Don, Terry & Donald,

Australia is a funny climate full of odd people. In Darwin, where the humidity is currently 85% and in Queensland in general where humidity is also high you will find that 98% of the houses are not air-conditioned and everyone leaves the windows open to let the breezes in ( and the moisture). Seem this is a different world. It is hard on all pianos in all senses but most of them handle these conditions better than does the Kawai.

Now I have to admit that I have not checked out the bushing cloth in the new Kawais and maybe this has been changed recently but in the Kawais that I have worked on, the bushing cloth did not have the white bit in the middle. It was red right through. This makes it different in construction to other bushing cloths that I have used.

 One tuner in Australia rebushed a complete grand action with Renner felt and the problem never reoccurred. So, is it the felt or the ABS resin.

Also one of the English actions, I think Schwander, used ABS flanges with normal bushing cloth and I have never seen a problem with tight centres there so I guess I would have to say its the cloth at fault.

I have not made a proper study of this and it may have changed since but its easy to check it out. take out a flange and look at the felt. Does it have the white inner weave ?

Tony