PTG Needs The Money, Was: Dallas Convention Web Site

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:37:13 EST

To Brian and John, and all the other any others out there who might share
their
views.

Although the convention does generate income for the PTG, when you look at
the total budget, it is not a "Major" source of income for the PTG. In fact,
as much time and energy the convention takes, in terms of man power by the
volunteers, and the expense of paying the home office to run it, the PTG
would probably save money by not having an annual convention.

But we do have a convention. So should it make money, or should it be a money
loosing operation? We can pay for the convention in one of two ways. We can
keep our annual dues down at a ridiculously low level, (compared to other
professional organizations), and pay a little more for the convention. Or we
can raise the dues, and pay less for the convention.

Unfortunately, as John pointed out, the convention registration is only a
small percentage of the total cost of the convention. (In addition to those
expenses mentioned, don't forget the loss of income for a week.) So the
question is, if the registration fee is reduced by a hundred dollars, will
that get more people to come to the convention? I think not.

Most technicians don't come to a convention because they still haven't
figured out that attending a convention is just like advertising. It does
cost, it pays. These are also the same ones that can't seem to find the time
to attend FREE chapter meetings, or one day seminars in their home town. And
the non members who complain about the high cost of the convention are the
same ones who say they can't afford to join the PTG in the first place,
because, again, they can't see the financial benefit of belonging.

I've attended every PTG convention since 1978, with the exception of two
years ago in Reno, when I moved from St. Louis to Alabama. And the only
reason I didn't go then was a time factor, not a monetary one.

Piano tuning is my chosen profession. Therefore, for me, the convention is my
number one priority. It is the only time, and the only place, I can learn
about my craft, to make me a better technician. Nothing short of a family
emergency will keep me away. That is how important the convention is for me.

So for all you naysayers out there. Beg, borrow or steal the money to attend
the convention. You will earn enough to justify the expense. And once you've
made a commitment to go every year, it will become easier and easier. You'll
become a perennial. And besides learning, you'll make some great friends.

Wim.