compression vs. rib crowning -automatic lowering

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:41:08 +0100

Hello Richard,

Automatic lowering is certainly not necessary. We need front bearing
to have a nice tone, if there is not and we compensate with rear
bearing we tend to push the bridge even farther in direction of it's
rolling condition.

I've find the tone with mostly back bearing to be very strong but not
classy.
Beside, we need to push on the board to get some adequate bearing, but
the minimal side of the bearing seem more musical to me (even if a
little thin of course).

A good solution for the bass bridge is to shave a new slant in the
bridge and change the pins, then we can have some adequate pressure on
the front side.

A friend of mine have unglued the treble side of a board, and glued it
back a little farther towards the center, helping the crown to show,
he said me it worked, but I did not hear the instrument myself.

For me, new bridge pins and chiseling the termination point have
always worked (but take some time to be done)

Installing a rod under the capo bad to gain a good termination and add
some front bearing seem to be a good point too.

The agrafes can be seated lower too, nowadays, it is useful to check
their height precisely, as a few mm are fast there.

I definitively opted for the measuring of the strings in any section
for hammer drilling accordantly. This helps a lot ,as many plates are
not as horizontal as we believe.

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG