compression vs rib crowning

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:20:32 -0600

Hi Dave,

I have heard a few of those old boards that sounded ok to me.  But most have
not been to my liking.  I have never visited southern California, though, so
I can't speak specifically to what you might hear.

Just as an example, there was a small grand piano that went through the shop
a few years ago.  Through the course of repairs being done to it, a new set
of replacement hammers was installed.  All in the shop thought it sounded
pretty good.  It went home.  The owner HATED it!  What had we done to KILL
his piano??  One of the techs went out and 'juiced' the hammers.  It was
better, but still not good enough.  More 'juice'.  A little better, but
still not good enough.  Finally, in desparation, (all the while having the
final payment for services held by said owner,) the tech loaded the top
octave or so of hammers with super glue.  That pretty much made the customer
happy and ended an unpleasant ordeal.  It's sad.

I think you probably know what that piano sounds like.  That's what that
person liked hearing.  I found it distasteful and downright annoying.

"The classic Steinway sound", that of the 100 year old boards is quite
attractive to some people.  And I have no problem with that.  It isn't so
attractive to me.  It's kinda like the alternative temperament tunings.
Some people really like them.  My ear doesn't.  I'm not going to say either
group is wrong in what they like to hear.  I know what I like.  It may be
different than what others may like.  I prefer the sound of a new board made
in such a way as having lots of sustain, some power but not too much, very
soft hammers, and a rather dark, extremely full bodied tone.  That's what I
like.  Some people would probably hate that.  (I'm sorry I can't give a
better idea by my words what I like to hear.)

I'm wierd, what can I say.

Brian T.