compression vs rib crowning

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:24:48 -0700

on 3/11/03 1:20 PM, Brian Trout at brian_trout@hotmail.com wrote:

> "The classic Steinway sound", that of the 100 year old boards is quite
> attractive to some people.  And I have no problem with that.  It isn't so
> attractive to me.  It's kinda like the alternative temperament tunings.
> Some people really like them.  My ear doesn't.  I'm not going to say either
> group is wrong in what they like to hear.  I know what I like.  It may be
> different than what others may like.  I prefer the sound of a new board made
> in such a way as having lots of sustain, some power but not too much, very
> soft hammers, and a rather dark, extremely full bodied tone.  That's what I
> like.  Some people would probably hate that.  (I'm sorry I can't give a
> better idea by my words what I like to hear.)
>
> I'm wierd, what can I say.
>

> Brian T.

Bravo to you, Brian. Don't apologize for what you know, for you, to be true.
Your ear is the final arbiter of everything. It's funny, but the way you
describe what YOU like in piano tone is pretty much what I like in piano
tone, and what I'm hearing from the boards I talked about in my earlier
post.
Maybe we're not that far apart; words are a piss-poor substitute for
practical experience, aren't they?

Be well......David A.