Mutes

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:24:09 -0800

Charles et al,
I've been using the Papp's Stick Mute for my entire career, on the
insistance of my Mentor. It is absolutely essential for muting/tuning either
the right string, the left string or the center string. Especially in the
upper treble, (past the break, where no strip mute should ever be needed).
I've also used the Split Mute, but they are limited and I gave up on them
years ago. The only qualifier that I can think of re. the Papp's Mute, is
that it does give a little "click" noise on hammer impact, that can drive
you nuts, for a while, until you get used to it. Further, if you HAVE to
tune an Over-Damper Piano it is an ABSOLUTE MUST! Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)