Sound board repair with strings

Ned Swift swiftspiano@hotmail.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:02:54 -0500

Hi all,

Back a few days ago, someone asked if it was possible to repair a sound
board without removing the strings.  At first, I thought "no way" but then I
got to thinking about it.  Assuming that it is a grand and not an upright,
would it be possible to repair from underneath?

What I envision is turning the piano upside down and repairing the sound
board with wood shims as if it were right side up with the strings off.  I
know that the ribs would be a problem as I can't think of any way to get the
shims under the rib.  While it is not a perfect solution since the repair
would not be complete because of the ribs, wouldn't it be better then having
the cracked sound board?

Another thought that occurred to me is using a thick epoxy.  Again, turn the
piano upside down and repair from the bottom.  This method might even bond
the board under the rims.

Or possible a combination of the shims and the epoxy.

I do not see either approaches as being long term.  But would they work
until the piano can be fixed properly?  Why, why not.  Your thoughts?

Please be kind.  I do not have a flame suit and that nice nurse has not yet
brought me my medication for the evening.  ;-0

Ned Swift
Lowell, MI