Shank extractions...

Mark Dierauf mdierauf@attbi.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:29:29 -0500

Alan -

I've had good luck with the following method. Saw or sand any remaining
shank flush with the hammer-butt. Drill an 1/8" hole down into the old
shank, approximating the rake of the shank into the butt as best you can
by eye. Drill this about 1/2" deep. Use an eyedropper to fill the hole
with water and then thread an old flange screw into the hole. Heat the
head of the screw with a torch, disposable lighter, or match, and then
pull it out by the head with vice grips. On maple shanks, I find that
this almost always removes the old shank cleanly and after dressing the
hole with a 7/32" drill you're ready to reshank. Many old pianos used
cedar shanks in the high treble, and these often won't "come clean" but
you will nevertheless often remove enough material that the same 7/32"
drill will then be able to follow the original hole in the maple butt.
Those old flange screws are almost as handy as duct tape or its 21st
century replacement - PVC pipe!

- Mark