"Rake" = Vertical Pitch/Keith Roberts

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:50:56 -0800

Keith,
Some times the angle of the strings is not 0 degrees Vertical. Also, there
are times, for whatever reason is beyond me, the line from the butt flange
center pin is closer to the strings than Hammer bore distance dictates. Why
they did this? I have no clue. The worst example of this, I can think of, is
olde Steinway K52's. I've seen as much a 10 degrees vertical pitch! When I
rebuild one of those, I change the angle to 1 degree. JFYI, this dictates
that you must shorten the hammer shank length, in order to hit the proper
strike point. I have never seen any problem with doing this. Nor, have I
ever seen any information, why they would do the extreme Vertical Pitch.
(Hmm? Perhaps I've read somewhere, like Wolfenden, about some of this, but I
can't recall the specifics.<G> Must be "Altzimers" time.)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)