Sound board repair with strings

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:17:41 EST

swiftspiano@hotmail.com writes:

> Another thought that occurred to me is using a thick epoxy.  Again, turn the
>
> piano upside down and repair from the bottom.  This method might even bond
> the board under the rims.

This method could work, but you would need to let the tension down. Use
masking tape to cover the cracks from the soundboard side.

Then turn the piano upside down, and use A runny wood filler epoxy, the type
Webb Phillips sells, to fill in the cracks. After the epoxy has dried, turn
the piano back over, and remove the masking tape, and retune the piano.

I've done this with the stirrings off, but it might work with the strings on.
The main problem is getting under the plate, if there are cracks there.

Wim