Sound board repair with strings

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:03:43 -0600

Hi Wim,
              I have done several satisfactory repairs with the strings on,
in the following manner.

Drape the grand in blankets to the floor,  and hang 2  X  50Watt Damp
Chaser heater rods to the beams.

Leave for 3 to 4 days to dry the piano down, cracks usually open up quite
nicely.

Thread a piece of string under the strings.

Now you need a second pair of hands to help you.

Attach string to some PVC electrical tape,  Kind of play tug of war with
your helper and pull the tape with the string, keeping the shiny side
sliding along the underside of the strings.

Position and align over crack.

Starting from the approximate centre of the tape Smooth it out over the
crack with rubber mute.

Flip piano up side down

Use a hypodermic to fill the crack with thin West system epoxy, You can
tint the epoxy with paint stain, to make the repair very hard to
find.   One drip is all that is needed.  Wait about 2 hrs and you can trim
any excess epoxy, quite neatly with a sharp  chisel.
It will have the consistency of rubber.
If you don't add a drop of stain, the epoxy shows like a dark clear pencil
line.

Leave 24hrs to cure.

Set up piano and remove tape.

Caution do not use masking tape. The epoxy will wick into it, and you will
have one heck of a mess to clean up.  Don't ask how I know.  Blush, blush. Ops.

Regards Roger