are baby grands better than upright verticals?

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:19:44 -0500 (EST)

I wrote:
> People told me if I could at all afford it, I should get a grand. I
> don't regret not getting a grand. A high quality vertical can have a
> good enough action that you aren't really missing any performance.

OK, let me correct that. Yes, you do miss some performance, but it doesn't
have to be the deciding factor. If you're chosing between an upright and a
grand in the same price range, I think you have to choose between the
better tone of the upright and the better action in the grand. I chose the
former. My point was that a good upright action might suit your needs, as
it does mine.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island