are baby grands better than upright verticals?

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:11:21 -0800

I totally agree with this.  My 56" 90-year-old upright, although it is
badly out of regulation and desperately needs the hammers reshaped and
voiced, has a much better tone than my mother's 4'11" 4-year-old grand.
I almost NEVER touch her piano anymore, unless, on rare occasions, I'm
fooling around, or I need to practice some finger technique that my
upright in it's state of misregulation currently can't handle.

----- Original message -----
From: "Charles Neuman" <piano@charlesneuman.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:19:44 -0500 (EST)
Subject: RE: are baby grands better than upright verticals?

I wrote:
> People told me if I could at all afford it, I should get a grand. I
> don't regret not getting a grand. A high quality vertical can have a
> good enough action that you aren't really missing any performance.

OK, let me correct that. Yes, you do miss some performance, but it
doesn't
have to be the deciding factor. If you're chosing between an upright and
grand in the same price range, I think you have to choose between the
better tone of the upright and the better action in the grand. I chose
the
former. My point was that a good upright action might suit your needs, as
it does mine.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island