Judge-and-jury

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:56:31 -0600

>An institution called me and asked me to come and tune two pianos.  They had
>another tech (I don't know who, or want to know) tune them last week and
>they were very unsatisfied with both of the pianos. They gave him a chance
>to come back and fix them, he did, but the pianos are still unacceptable to
>them.  They told me they are happy with the way I tune, and if I say they
>are "mal-tuned,"  they will not pay this other tech.
>
>I want the gig, but not the judge-and-jury part.  Should I accept the job?
>Defend or condemn the other tech?

This happens to me once in a while. I tell them I'll come tune the pianos,
expect to be paid for it, and will leave it up to them as to any assessment
of the last tech's work compared to mine. I'll try to educate them as to
what to expect from tunings done under XXX conditions, when it's likely
that the problem wasn't the previous tech's fault. Take the gig, but don't
condemn the other tech.

>Should someone get paid for unacceptable
>work?
>
>Phil Ryan

You mean like doctors, lawyers, plumbers, teachers, city planners, auto
mechanics, defense contractors and politicians?

Ron N