Downbearing and Tone

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:24:53 -0500

What is the shape of the soundboard between each set of ribs? What was the shape with the strings off?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Spalding" <mjbkspal@execpc.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: Downbearing and Tone

Keith, David, List,

Mind if I jump in here with my own situation/question?  1929 M&H A, minor soundboard cracks behind bass bridge filled with epoxy, original caps in excellent shape, new bridge pins bedded in epoxy after planing and re-notching caps.  Re-set downbearing to 1 degree in treble tapering to 1/2 degree in tenor (not necessarily intentional, but that's the way it worked out).  F6 to F7 is clear and firm but very short sustain.  Abel Encores, have done some shoulder needling but don't want to over do it.  Is downbearing the likely culprit, or is there some other potential cause, or is this just the way it is?

Mike Spalding RPT