Tuning Tunes

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:18:56 -0700

At 08:42 PM 3/13/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>What tunes do you use as your 'test' tunes to play when you are finished
>tuning?

Depends a bit on the piano, sometimes, don't you agree? I don't do the
Military Polonaise on the dinky spinet or super-rattley upright. Also, it
can depend on the level of player of that piano. If the player is real
good, I stick with simple chords and arpeggios, to check the tuning and
knock out anything that may need tweaking. If it's a beginner, I quite
often will play a couple of the pieces from whatever book came off of the
piano, and then something more advanced.

Otherwise...... Chopin for the guys, blues for the gals.

"Summertime" is always in order, with repeating certain phrases in
different octaves to check the balance of a voicing.

I also almost always offer the customer: "Wanna take it for a test drive?
The keys are in it!"

>  And if there is a reason - why?

As one artist/customer says, as she puts in six hours a day..... "For the
beauty..."

>:)
>Dorie

Guy

or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public." - Teddy Roosevelt