Judge-and-jury

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:58:53

Hi Phil,

You have no idea how the pianos were before the other tech started, so how
can you judge his work? I think it is best to offer no opinion about
other's work. In a gathering of any three competant techs there will be six
opinions as to just octave size--all of them correct.

They have already asked you to condemn the other tech. The safe answer is
"I have no opinion".

They should pay the other tech. They hired him--quite possibly on the basis
of his "price". Let them pay for what they received. He has already gone
back to "make good" on any implied warranty. I don't make promises about
tuning longevity myself--unless I know the instruments intimately, which
takes far more than just one tuning.

Do go "loaded for bear" and do send them a detailed comphrensive report on
the pianos condition with a list of priorized recommendations.

Do put in a service record "sticker" so that the next guy who comes along
will know what you found when you arrived--and what you attempted to do. I
always record humidity, pitch correction at A4, pitch correction on worst
note, final pitch and the date of service.

At 07:46 AM 3/14/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>An institution called me and asked me to come and tune two pianos.  They had
>another tech (I don't know who, or want to know) tune them last week and
>they were very unsatisfied with both of the pianos.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.