Question about rubbing a satin finish

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:13:37 +0100

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your ideas, I was persuaded that the matt or semi matt
(satin) finishes where the result of direct spraying of polyester.

The lacquer people I talked with explained me that, while telling me
that they are reluctant to refinish pianos in these matt or satin
finish because they need then a special room much cleaner than they
usual spraying room (and these guys make all Steinway finishes here,
with new brass logos, , really looking like new).

My instrument is actually in semi matt finish, but if I try to polish
it, the surface is not clean (kind of orange skin surface, and uneven
reflects).
So I was ready to fine sand it (with water) , and try to polish again.
My inquiry is mostly about a good method (pumice, fine abrasive foams,
whatever) , to obtain a matt look or semi matt, after the polishing.

I did not thought of the possibility to spray a coat of lacquer, but
why not ? What kind of lacquer could I use on a polyester ? As I have
to install a new logo I will need to use some lacquer anyway.

Thanks again, and Best regards.

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.