old Lowrey console

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:43:25 -0500

    David:
    Has the customer complained about the tone of the piano?  Are you =
trying to correct a problem from your viewpoint or hers?  The voice of a =
piano is a subjective thing, and though you may find it objectionable, =
does your customer? =20
    If so, try this formula from Baldwin:  "A mixture of 25% water and =
75% methanol can be applied to the hammers to produce a mellower or =
softer tone.  Care should be taken not to apply to stapled areas.  The =
solution can be applied to the shoulders for moderate changes or to the =
strike point for more severe changes.  It is recommended in most cases =
not to apply the solution to the top octave and lowest octave since =
these areas usually require more tone accentuation to be musically =
pleasing.  It takes about 20-30 minutes for the solution to work.  Fine =
voicing can then be performed with shallow needling to the hammers as =
needed to provide a consistent note to note tone."=20
    This does work.
    Mike Kurta
  From: Dave Foster=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 5:17 PM
  Subject: old Lowrey console

  List,
  I just got back from tuning a friends piano which is an old Lowrey =
Console (Charles Fredrick Stein).  This was my third time tuning it in =
the past 12 months.  It holds the tuning quite well, but the tone is a =
very ugly, schreeking, bright nasty sound that I can hardly stand while =
I tune it.  She gives piano lessons every week on it and I can't =
understand how it doesn't drive her nuts.  I have tried before to shape, =
needle, and soften the hammers to even out the tone a bit, but nothing I =
do seems to bring down the schreekiness.  And to add on top of this, it =
sits on a hardwood floor which makes it echo throughout the house.
  Is there an easy/short fix to this problem shy of replacing the =
hammers that anyone here has found?

  Dave Foster