old Lowrey console

Dave Foster foster29@earthlink.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:17:43 -0500

List,
I just got back from tuning a friends piano which is an old Lowrey Console
(Charles Fredrick Stein).  This was my third time tuning it in the past 12
months.  It holds the tuning quite well, but the tone is a very ugly,
schreeking, bright nasty sound that I can hardly stand while I tune it.  She
gives piano lessons every week on it and I can't understand how it doesn't
drive her nuts.  I have tried before to shape, needle, and soften the
hammers to even out the tone a bit, but nothing I do seems to bring down the
schreekiness.  And to add on top of this, it sits on a hardwood floor which
makes it echo throughout the house.
Is there an easy/short fix to this problem shy of replacing the hammers that
anyone here has found?

Dave Foster