Fixed Whippen

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:41:14 +0100

gordon stelter wrote:

> I have worked on an 1878 Knabe gerand with the keys
> and wippens pinned together in this fashion. It is
> said that Ulysses S. Grant liked playing on this
> particular piano, and "SOMEONE"(?) apparently stomped
> on the upper keys, as all the jack tenders and forks
> were shattered in that area. As the wippens were
> "0ddball", and not at all available currently, I built
> up the shattered portions with West's and their
> colloidal filler, sanded, filed, drilled and bushed,
> and all now works very nicely.
>     As I'm sure you are aware, Richard, a pinned
> wippen has less friction than a capstan arangement.
> But oh! What a pain to regulate! Especially on a
> grand!
>      Thump

Yes.. I noticed that an offset straight slot is going to be in order for
sure. While I am aware of the friction "advantage" here, I havent really
given thought to how this effects the slight change in leverage a
capstan / heel arrangement yeilds through the key stroke. The points of
effort and load being fixed either way you look at it.... things should
stay pretty stable at least until you figure in the jack top / knuckle.
Should be interesting to do some Stanwood measurements on this and see
what happens.

Cheers

RicB

--