old Lowrey console

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:28:07 -0600

Hi Rob;

I learned this 50/50 trick from the PianoDisc factory training. Before =
the Silent Drive system came along, hammer soaking was standard =
procedure for many pianos so that people wouldn't complain about the =
system being too loud. Worked very well.

I was curious though- how long does the solution need to dry before you =
can access the results? You don't want to be playing the piano with wet =
hammers but I would like to hear it before I leave someones home. In the =
past I have left them over night to be safe. Whatcha think?

Dave Bunch
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: Dave Foster ; Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 4:45 PM
  Subject: Re: old Lowrey console

  These were pretty awful pianos from the get-go so let's start with =
that.  As far as something that might actually make a difference have =
you tried water and alcohol?  In extreme cases where the hammers are so =
hard they resemble tungsten-vanadium spikes you may have to resort to =
wetting them down with 50/50 water and alcohol.  Such a treatment is =
equal to about 150 needle pricks and a whole lot faster.  Use a =
hypo-oiler and briefly soak the shoulders.  If need be you can go back =
and hit the strike point as well.  The effects are immediate and won't =
change after it dries; what you hear is what you get.  Be careful not to =
over do it.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

    List,
    I just got back from tuning a friends piano which is an old Lowrey =
Console (Charles Fredrick Stein).  This was my third time tuning it in =
the past 12 months.  It holds the tuning quite well, but the tone is a =
very ugly, schreeking, bright nasty sound that I can hardly stand while =
I tune it.  She gives piano lessons every week on it and I can't =
understand how it doesn't drive her nuts.  I have tried before to shape, =
needle, and soften the hammers to even out the tone a bit, but nothing I =
do seems to bring down the schreekiness.  And to add on top of this, it =
sits on a hardwood floor which makes it echo throughout the house.
    Is there an easy/short fix to this problem shy of replacing the =
hammers that anyone here has found?

    Dave Foster