Judge-and-jury

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 18:49:29 -0700

Dave, I was thinking of responding, but your post fit my position =
exactly.=20

    I happen to be a chapter officer, right now, and I've been kind of =
seeing this "one gentleman's work" lately. I happen to see a lot of =
mistakes he's making, and am thinking of calling him. I need to invite =
him over to the shop sometime so I can show him a few things.
    For instance, we have a piano in the shop for a warranty repair on =
another cracked bridge on a Baldwin SF grand. The customer said that the =
tone was gone from the top octave. Well, the crack was bad enough to =
affect the tuning, but not the tone. What did affect the tone was the =
fact that the hammers had been filed. Flat on top, tipping left or =
right, but never level. Obviously done with a paddle, but with no real =
technique. This is the same guy who kept replacing strings on a Steinway =
D when the cause of the breakage was the hammers were so flat that they =
contacted the capo bar. Well, at least he's filing hammers now.=20
   I've talked with the customer, but haven't said anything derogatory =
about her tech. I think your post has made up my mind though. Maybe I =
can help this guy out.  Thanks.
Kevin

  Randy Potter tells a story about receiving a call from
  Joe Garrett about a poor repair Randy had made.  Joe
  invited Randy to a PTG meeting.  Randy joined the PTG,
  learned a bunch, eventually became a major contributor
  to educating new techs.  Might be an opportunity to
  invite someone to a meeting. =20

  > Should someone get paid for unacceptable work?
  > Phil Ryan

  If my work was unacceptable I'd rather not be paid for
  it.  But then I'm not this someone.  (I hope)

  Dave Davis
  Renton, WA