Judge-and-jury-Results

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:08:37 -0500

+ Comments below ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Ryan" <pryan2@the-beach.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Judge-and-jury-Results

: Went to tune the piano in question, found it to be a 3 or 4 year old
: D.H.Baldwin 5' (or less) grand in good condition.  The temperament was not
: problem, but the unisons were extremely out-almost every third note.  They
: were very noticeable.

+ Sounds like the last guy didn't bother checking his work ...

The school told me the tuner tuned it in one-half an
: hour the first time and when called back to correct it, angrily spend 20
: minutes on it.

+ Serves him right for being called back to fix it.  But that attitude ...!
What was he expecting?  Was he trying to make the biggest buck in the least
amount of time, assuming that the school would only pay a pittance
regardless of how much work was done on the piano, or how much was needed?

Can a piano be tuned in one-half an hour? (Not by me)  They
: were more interested in getting the piano sounding good again than
punishing
: the previous tuner, so we skipped the pointing of fingers.

+ Finger-pointing is not necessary.  He's already the loser (lost a
multi-piano customer, plain and simple).

I tuned the
: piano as best I could, made appointments to tune their other pianos  and
: hopefully gained a permanent customer.
:
: Phil Ryan

+ Way to go!!  Hopefully you can build this into a source of referrals,
especially if you earn the privilege of servicing their most prized piano
for performances in the auditorium.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net