Downbearing and Tone

Mike Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:13:00 -0600

Terry,

Downbearing of one degree is total:  mostly on the speaking side, maybe a
quarter of it on the rear duplex side.

Did I mention that I sort-of tuned the rear duplexes during chipping, but
haven't paid any attention to them since.  They vary from note to note, from
pretty good to way off.  Don't notice any difference in sustain that would
correspond to which duplexes are further out of tune.

Crown is zero.  Flat.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: Downbearing and Tone

> And also, you mention downbearing of one and one-half degrees, is measured
only on the rear string segment? What are the angles back and front?

> Terry Farrell

the shape with the strings off?

> > Terry Farrell

minor soundboard cracks behind bass bridge filled with epoxy, original caps
in excellent shape, new bridge pins bedded in epoxy after planing and
re-notching caps.  Re-set downbearing to 1 degree in treble tapering to 1/2
degree in tenor (not necessarily intentional, but that's the way it worked
out).  F6 to F7 is clear and firm but very short sustain.  Abel Encores,
have done some shoulder needling but don't want to over do it.  Is
downbearing the likely culprit, or is there some other potential cause, or
is this just the way it is?

> > Mike Spalding RPT

that has too much versus too little down bearing?