Aftertouch evaluation

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:49:17 -0800 (PST)

I am wondering about the value of different methods of evaluating aftertouch on a grand. I know one method is to add punchings on top of those on the front rail pin until let-off can't take place;

Another method I've heard of and used is to look at the final position of the jack in relationship to the knuckle and jack cushion after drop - but this can't be done with the action in the piano;  The next method (which I don't think I've read about anywhere) is my question to the list:  Can you accurately evaluate aftertouch by traveling the key/hammer through drop and then moving the jack tender downward to see how far the jack travels before being stopped by the jack cushion?

Also, if you are using the addition of punchings on the front rail pin until let-off fails, what are some good parameters to stay within for "good" aftertouch, i.e. .050 - .060 ?  I know the Steinway manual says that a good amount is about the thickness of a new penny.  How far can we stray from that measurement and still be alright?

Bob