Aftertouch evaluation

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:35:22 -0700

What about depressing the hammer through letoff, and drop, then seeing
how much play is still in the hammer?  It seems that after the action
has gone through all of it's motions, anything else is "aftertouch".
I've always used this as a quick way to see if there's aftertouch.  As a
general rule, I want aftertouch to be equal to drop.  What I mean is, if
after letoff, the hammer drops 1/16", then it should rise back up to
letoff.

It's very easy to tell when there's no aftertouch, just by playing the
piano.

Jonathan Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Bob Hull
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 11:49 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Aftertouch evaluation

I am wondering about the value of different methods of evaluating
aftertouch on a grand. I know one method is to add punchings on top of
those on the front rail pin until let-off can't take place;

Another method I've heard of and used is to look at the final position
of the jack in relationship to the knuckle and jack cushion after drop -
but this can't be done with the action in the piano;  The next method
(which I don't think I've read about anywhere) is my question to the
list:  Can you accurately evaluate aftertouch by traveling the
key/hammer through drop and then moving the jack tender downward to see
how far the jack travels before being stopped by the jack cushion?

Also, if you are using the addition of punchings on the front rail pin
until let-off fails, what are some good parameters to stay within for
"good" aftertouch, i.e. .050 - .060 ?  I know the Steinway manual says
that a good amount is about the thickness of a new penny.  How far can
we stray from that measurement and still be alright?

Bob

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo!
<http://rd.yahoo.com/webhosting/mail_tagline/evt=7748/*http:/webhosting.
yahoo.com/ps/wh3/prod/>  Web Hosting - establish your business online