Bridge Cap Thickness

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:43:43 -0500

I used West System's "High-Density Filler" and NOT their colloidal =
silica - although I'm not sure that it would have made that much =
difference. Have you ever cured a big chunk of this stuff? I can put a =
dent in a hunk of maple with a hammer, but I would have no such luck =
with a hunk of #404-thickened epoxy. It is hard, stiff - man, the stuff =
is like steel!

BTW, took weights off my "fitted" one-off one-piece laminated bridge cap =
this morning - no movement (whew!). Came out excellent - flat as a =
pancake, all joints remained in place, etc. Took a few pictures of =
bridge root and cap building, if anyone is interested.

Terry Farrell

404 High-Density Filler
404 High-Density filler is a thickening additive developed for maximum =
physical properties in hardware bonding where high-cyclic loads are =
anticipated. It can also be used for filleting and gap filling where =
maximum strength is necessary. Color: off-white.

406 Colloidal Silica
406 Colloidal Silica is a thickening additive used to control the =
viscosity of the epoxy and prevent epoxy runoff in vertical and overhead =
joints. 406 is a very strong filler that creates a smooth mixture, ideal =
for general bonding and filleting. It is also our most versatile filler. =
Often used in combination with other fillers, it can be used to improve =
the improve strength, abrasion resistance, and consistency of fairing =
compounds, resulting in a tougher, smoother surface. Color: off-white.=20

 =20
----- Original Message -----=20