Wissner grands

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:11:19 -0500

Hi David et al.,

Yes, I'm the one with the 9' 1933 Wissner.  I regret to report that I =
haven't had much time to work on it, as I've been preoccupied with =
dozens of other (not so) little duties over the past few months.

I don't have much to say about my instrument, other than what I've =
already said - in the archives.  It's a very nicely constructed =
instrument -- very substantial.  It is more or less the clone of an S&S =
D, with some variation in stringing.  It was tropicalized, as apparently =
were all Wissners (per the description in a 1916 Wissner catalog I =
have).  Mine has a very nice sound to it, even considering the fact that =
it needs so much work.  I very much look forward to getting started on =
it.

I did a bit of research on the Wissner before buying it and didn't find =
a negative word about the maker.  The consensus seems to be that Wissner =
copied S&S design (which he did), but turned out a much better =
instrument.  Otto Wissner apparently manufactured pianos in Germany =
before immigrating to the US to study piano manufacture on "piano row," =
including under Steinway.  Then with Steinway's blessings, he left S&S =
to open his own factory down the road.  I am told there was initially a =
rather collaborative relationship between Wissner and Steinway, with the =
two of them manufacturing some parts for each other. =20

Otto Wissner was rather arrogant about his craft, in an oddly charming =
sort of way, and was a one-man show. I suspect these qualities made him =
both an excellent piano builder and a horrible businessman.  In the =
later years of his business, I *think* I recall his being sued by one of =
the Steinway sons for patent infringement.  His business didn't last for =
very long.  He apparently would not be bought out, absorbed, or whatever =
(e.g. American Piano), and so he became uncompetitive and faded from =
view.  That's about all I know about the man and his company, and I =
hasten to add that it's based on a lot of "I think I heard" information =
from others.  If anybody else knows any Wissner history, I would very =
much apprecite hearing it.

Peace,
Sarah Fox,
Columbus, OH

PS I haven't forgotten about the sustain time software I told you all I =
would write for you.  I just have to sort through a couple of other more =
urgent programming matters first.  Since I last communicated, I've had a =
couple of ideas for improving the sustain measurement further.  I think =
you'll like the end product.  :-)
  ----- Original Message -----=20