tuning marathon tips

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:39:04 +0000

Hi all,

I'm recovering today from my latest tuning marathon, and thought while the
experience was still fresh in my mind I'd pass along a few tips...

1. Hydrate - Before, during and after, along with your anti-inflamitory of
choice.  Your body WILL be taking extra abuse, do what you can to help your
recovery.  All that extra water will make you take extra breaks, too!

2. Earplugs - As important as these are day-to-day, when you are pushing
double digits, you really need to limit the sound pressure to maintain any
sense of hearing!

3. Multiple tuning styles - I never learned to tune lefty, each time I take
on one of these days, I remind myself I really should....  I do carry three
different levers (short, impact, extension) to help alter the stresses to
the old body.

4. Keep moving - this is where you "pick your battles" and don't get bogged
down with the picky stuff on the first pass. Use a quick second pass to try
and get everything settled.

5. Stretch - You will be immoble a lot, use a couple of minutes between
pianos to get the blood flowing again.

Probably the best idea would be to get someone else to help, and not try and
do it all myself!

Ron Koval
Chicagoland