Upright Wippen Replacement

Kerry Cooper brispiano@optushome.com.au
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:20:43 +1000

> I am rebuilding the action for a 1913 (or so) Mason & Hamlin upright. It
has the dowel-capstan (no stickers) arrangement. The heel on the wippen is
fairly tall. I am looking for advice on what is the best avenue for
replacement. These things are pretty beat up - they would require complete
rebuilding - obviously easier and cheaper if I can find replacements. From
what I have seen in the Schaff and Pianotek catalogs I can get wippens that
look like they would work except for the heel height - I could saw off my
wippen heels and glue them on the new wippens, or use some type of add-on
wippen heels. I could also get the Steinway wippen (it has a choice of
tallish heels) and perhaps simply replace the flange.

> It just occurred to me to check with M&H also. I will try that today as
well. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Renner make many sizes of wippen with tall heels. The attachment has the
renner drawings.

Kerry Cooper
Brisbane,
Australia